Wednesday, March 3, 2010

On One Hand

You'll have to forgive me for a moment while I turn in to one of those bloggers who talks about her kid. I'm finding myself more and more moving away from writing about her. Part of it is that I've become more confident as a parent (delusional as it may be) and no longer feel the need to poll the Internet for advice. Part of it is that she is getting old enough now that I feel a need to respect her privacy more.

However, maybe this isn't about her so much, but more about me, and how she effects me. One of these days, maybe not so very far off in the future, she's going to be able to completely out smart me. She's already well on her way.

I've always been very proud of my ability to learn things quickly. I have a great memory for the randomness of things, as well as a knack for being able to make connections that others can't see. Perhaps it is the creative part of my brain working, maybe I'm just weird. Likely it is a bit of both. It annoys some people, but I've learned to shut up most of the time. When I was a kid, I almost always had an answer, I rarely could tell you how I got the answer, but I was right, a lot.

M seems to have taken after me a bit. She's picking up things up, sometimes it would seem out of nowhere. Over the course of the last couple of weeks, as she puts on her mittens (yay for being able to do it herself, thank you daycare) she will say "left one" and "right one". I'm usually in another room, making sure that I haven't forgotten anything (not that it works), so I haven't been paying that close of attention. However, I caught her doing it. Convinced that it must be a fluke, I've asked her which hand was which, repeatedly. She always gets it right correct.

Puzzled by this, I asked daycare if they have been teaching it, and besides playing the Hokey Pokey, it isn't even on their radar for things to teach. I'm pretty sure it comes some where after the alphabet and tying their shoes.

She asks me about random things I've said, days after I may have mentioned something in passing. She has started picking up songs after hearing them once, at best. She can manipulate a situation and has started to use the quivering bottom lip. She has age and cuteness in her favor. I may have burned a few too many brain cells while in college (at least I waited until I was 18 to waste them).

I am so screwed.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh, I feel the same way! My daughter has such a good memory, way better than mine it seems, and I know one day she's going to corner me and I'm not going to be able to talk my way out of it.