Thursday, September 10, 2009

Run Amelia! Run!

I need new shoes.

(wait, let me go back)

I'm going to do a 5K.

(yup, back farther)

Last night I ran & walked 2.7 miles in 45 minutes. This is a woman who earlier this year took half an hour to walk a mile.

(wait, still not back far enough)

I'm doing the 5K because M is going to do her first race.

(oh yeah, better go back further)

On Monday M and I were walking back from the park and we saw a race. One that has been run a few blocks from my house for the last 27 years. (I know, how did I miss that) She LOVED it. She wanted to run with them. She wanted to race, especially when we saw kids doing it too.

Someone on the bus mentioned a kid's race that happens with the shorter distances before the TC Marathon. So I looked it up. There was a toddler trot, a mere 50 yards, but she can do that in the back yard going after a ball. (what? like you've never done that) Half a mile though, that is what she does when she goes with me on a walk. She sits in the stroller until the last half a mile and then I let her run while I cool down. However, if I am going to schlep my ass over to St. Paul for her half a mile, why not do a 5K myself. Sure, why not. I'll make A go with too. It will be a fun family event.

(OK, caught up)

So, I ran last night to see just how fast I could go if I did a 5K, and my feet were hurting after I was done. It has been 6 months since I got my shoes, and in that time I have been walking, shredding and occasionally jogging in them. They are shot as far as running goes. So this weekend I'm likely going to drag my behind to Marathon Sports in South Minneapolis because they are awesome and carry women's shoes in an 11.5. I didn't even know that was possible until back when I first tried to run and tweeted about it Brook's Shoes followed me. I looked them up, and what do you know, 11.5. In the New Balance I got before I had to go up to a 12 that was slightly too big. Woo hoo! I'm going to do a 5K y'all!

Also, in regards to letting the two and a half year old do the half mile. I agonized over that. However, she has been so giddy about the running, why not encourage her to do it more. It is good to start habits young. Running is also more about competition with yourself. If it was hockey she wanted to do, I'd have a problem. Running is a life skill. I never had that, and maybe if I had I wouldn't be where I am today.

5 comments:

Canuckedup mama said...

Rock on lady! Nothing like a good goal race to keep the legs movin'. I love reading about your journey with running and it makes me want to keep up with my own. My first 5K was 5 years ago in October, but the two kids since then have made it difficult to keep up. So now if you'll excuse me, it's time to get my arse on the the treadmill.

Jen said...

Yay! You should have a huge crowd, have fun!

kristen said...

Need a running partner? Ran while I was up in Nisswa - hadn't done so in a while so I didn't go super far, but it felt wonderful!

Heather said...

Excellent! Good luck to you!

Anti-Supermom said...

I did my first 5K this year - you can do it, don't worry about the time just about crossing the line and feeling so proud about completing it.

There are positives and negative to having children run, but obviously you know this.

Above all, you both should have fun.