Thursday, September 10, 2009

Help! Not Just Anybody

After years of questioning me, I believe my mother finally thinks the apple finally didn't fall too far from the tree. My canning escapades have proven that perhaps I did pick something up in the years of growing up on a commune organic vegetable farm. I've been calling her regularly for advice on what to do with certain situations. Usually after I already did it the wrong way.

I am on my second batch of tomato jam after all of the previous batch became spoken for.

Work is crazy because I am near a vacation in which I am not allowed to even so much as look at my blackberry. It is why I am not finding the energy to blog so let's just keep going with this list of randomly associated things.

Oh yeah, and the new obsession with canning things. That may be interfering with the blogging too.

I made salsa, which I had no idea before tonight actually requires additional acid (or pressure canning) to make sure it keeps well. Yeah, vinegar in salsa, not so fun any more. Oh well, at least it will be a good base for things like chili. I think from now on I'm sticking to jams and pickles.

Speaking of that, do you know how hard it is to find a good commercial bread and butter pickle without high fructose corn syrup (HFCS, see rant here). Pickle season is done or I would be making some nice natural (and spicy) ones of my very own.

As soon as I get done canning everything in sight, I'm going to start my fall knitting. Summer is too warm and sticky, but I have high goals this year. My absolutely favorite yarn has these super cute kits and I need to make M something for Christmas because I have no idea what to get an almost three year old. Between us and her Nana, the girl has gotten just about everything she could possibly need until the is at least 5 or 6. Help?

Ooo, Help!, there is something. I love the Beatles. I will be your new best friend if you invite me over for Beatles Rock Band. I have been told I can't get a Wii just to get Beatles Rock Band. When I am home where my brother is, if it is there, I am going to abscond with the Sgt. Peppers with original cut outs. Sorry little bother, I reserve this right as the oldest child. You got the house, so quite complaining.

1 comment:

The Fritz Facts said...

I am making my own tomato sauce right now, simmering as we speak. The acid level is high enough that if it turns out I will can it. I can't wait the two hours it has to simmer...the anticipation!!