Monday, March 30, 2009

Running out of steam.

Maybe it is the congestion (daycare cold number 435 for the year), but I'm running out of steam for the shred. My knees are killing me when I do any bouncing around (I've been doing punches with weights instead), and I have horrible spring fever. I also worked a bunch this last weekend. Work that included a lot of moving around and being active. My back is a little messed up because of that.

All of this leads to some spectacular rationalization. It doesn't help that Comcast puked last night and I couldn't get the shred. I was all dressed and ready to do it. (I ordered it off Amazon instead)

Tonight I didn't think I could handle it, but instead of just giving up and sitting on my ass, I went out for a very brisk walk. The dog was in heaven (she better have lost some weight by the time her checkup comes around). I also thought I'd see just how bad things were if I ran for 60 seconds. That is the starting time for the Couch to 5K program. I don't think it is a good sign that I spent the remaining 20 minutes of my walk trying to catch my breath.

I think tomorrow I'll make a call to A's asthma Dr. At a minimum I need to look into allergy meds (OTC varieties make me hallucinate). Maybe to test my theory I'll bring the albuterol inhaler with and do my experiment of 60 seconds again. You know, after the snow melts.

Even if I don't have asthma, perhaps Kristen won't mind if we start our program with just some walking. Or maybe 60 seconds running, five minutes walking.

Speaking of walking/running, I think that will be my focus for April. The shred has been very good to me, but I haven't really lost much weight. I'll admit I haven't eaten terribly well, what with major work projects keeping both A and I at work late. However, my body shape has changed quite a bit. Clothes are fitting better, and my measurements (damn I wish I had actually kept track of them since the beginning) have resulted in a change of "Right Fit" jeans from Lane Bryant. My ass has shrunk, my waist has not. (stupid belly fat) Walking/Running and more cardio focus will help more with the kind of weight loss I'm looking for. I can go back to shredding if I lose more weight and really need to tone.

So, onward I go. I'm a little off track for my goal of another 40 pounds by July, but the nearly 20 I've lost this first three months of the year is nothing to sneeze at either.

5 comments:

kristen said...

The book I have from John Bingham (which I meant to give you last week) actually recommends starting off the first week with no jogging - brisk walks only - then week 2 run 30 seconds for every 5 minutes walking. I'm thinking when I started that I was probably running closer to 30 seconds versus a minute. Honestly, you'll find a lot of variation in plans - and my opinion is that you do what is comfortable and works for you! You certainly don't want to injure yourself or push yourself so hard that it's discouraging. Looking forward to starting off!

Jill said...

Losing nearly 20 lbs in 3 months is DEFINITELY nothing to sneeze at! Yay, you!!!

(I've been slacking & my scale shows it. It's not supposed to move THAT way, dang it! *grumble* No chips in the house & more exercise (ok... actual exercise) is the story for April for me!)

Syl said...

Congrats on the 20, definitely nothing to sneeze at :-) Now that the weather's better and my running shoes arrived, I ahve no excuses not to start running/walking outside.

Birdie said...

I think it sounds like you're doing awesome and its good to shake up your fitness routine anyway to keep yourself from getting bored. I'm now doing the shred 2-3 times a week and walking/jogging on the other days. It helps keep me sane!

Marketing Mama said...

20 lbs? AWESOME! You are doing great, keep it up!