Monday, November 3, 2008

Voting and some fluff

Today I'm doing my daily post to remind you to vote. There are two things I really love about this country. One is that we have free speech. I may not like everything I hear, but it beats suppression of speech any day. The second is free elections. Something we all need to make sure actually happens. I've heard two different international reactions to our election process over the years. The first is that we don't allow for outside international observers, something that really came into question in 2000.

The other is that we have peaceful elections and a peaceful transition of power. That for all of the things we say and do during an election, that in the end, power is handed over without guns, or weapons of any kind.

That being said, this year has scared the crap out of me. I've done more head in the sand maneuvers than I care to think about. I knew who I wanted to vote for, and I've been trying to ignore what is out there. What I have heard has terrified me just a little. I certainly hope it has just been the adrenaline of the moment, or someone trying to get ratings, and that no one acts in the incitement that has happened should things not go their way. I'm talking about both parties really.

See, I've always thought that leaders should lead by example, and if we want to the respect and following of the rest of the world, we need to show them how it can work, even when we don't always get along.

So, this is my plug for getting out there to vote, and if something goes wrong, if you see something that isn't right, call someone who can do something about. (1-866 OUR VOTE)

Before you go out to vote, make sure you're going to the right place. You can even be a citizen watchdog. Vote, encourage the people around you to vote, make sure your employer knows the laws about letting employees take time off to vote, and oh yeah, VOTE.


--------------------------------------

And now for the fluff. Tonight I used spinach to bribe my daughter to eat her meatballs and bread. I'm taking that as a sign that all is right with the world, and Wednesday I will wake up to a day with a clear winner, and peace. Lots and lots of peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent observations - obviously all that time with your head in the sand was conducive to productive thinking!
And in Exile, we bribe with broccoli. Doesn't everyone use green vegetables this way?