Friday, January 23, 2009

The up side to a down economy

We found out this last week that despite major projects at work, we can no longer work any OT. The OT is always the reward to grueling work when things get like this, so it was a little bit of a bummer. It beats losing your job, so I really can't complain. The other up side is that we can only work 40 hours, no exceptions. So after a nice long week on call, I got a surprise day off today. It also means that I will likely take little PTO for the next few months, no matter how many Dr. appointments I have.

I considered keeping M home with me to hang out, but then realized that it is her last day of transition to older toddlers, so she really needed to go to daycare. That means a day to myself. To clean. No really, I wanted to clean.

After M was born my already relaxed house keeping has gotten... well, there just isn't any way to explain it without swearing. The main floor is OK, the kitchen is in permanent disarray (which I blame mostly on it's total lack of storage), but the worst is our bedroom. It isn't a safe place to hang out with M while we clean, it isn't seen by the public, and it involves clothes. Which since both A and I are not at healthy weight, comes with emotional baggage. So today I am tackling it. I've already got a couple of bags to go to Salvation Army, a pile to put in the laundry, and dusted and vacuumed a few thing. All that before 10 AM. Right now I'm just working on laundry, making sure I don't get too far ahead of myself. I won't finish it today, but I should get it more on the way to a place I can enjoy.

The washer is done, so back to work for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for you getting stuff done! Sounds like a tres productive am already!!!

Don't forget to take periodic recoup/refocus breaks and drink water so you don't wear yourself out too quickly! I have to admit I'm rather jealous of your no-kids-underfoot-get-stuff-done day. Guess I'll just need to take advantage of rest-time today!

Go, girl!

Amelia Sprout said...

Oh, don't worry about me forgetting to rest. After all, if I set expectations too high for days off, I'll never get all of my napping in.

I also learned that if I get too ambitious, I don't finish things and it ends up looking worse.